TARTIFLETTE (CHEESE, BACON AND POTATOES)
TARTIFLETTE (CHEESE, BACON AND POTATOES)
This is the dish that, even after many years of visiting the adorable tiny French town of Annecy, which boasts a lovely romantic old town, a clean lake, and a magnificent view of the Alpes mountains and is simply charming year-round, I can still remember how good it was. The most well-known regional goods are cheeses. Reblochon de Savoie, a mild and fragrant cheese made in the region around Annecy, is one of the most well-known and frequently used cheeses in Annecy. From Raclette (melted cheese), to Crozets (pasta made from buckwheat or wheat), to Diots (sausages)- the food was just AMAZING.But the meal I adored the most was Tartiflette, a gooey, creamy, cheesy, filling baked casserole made with potatoes, bacon, cream or milk, cheese, and onions. It's unquestionably the kind of comfort food that is very satisfying and enjoyable, especially on chilly nights while cuddled up in a nice blanket by a roaring fire with a cup of warm tea or a glass of wine. This is the recipe I prefer to use now that the weather is becoming a little cooler.Reblochon cheese, which is created in the Annecy region, is used to make the delectable Tartiflette. Although the United States is not currently importing this cheese, you may still enjoy Tartiflette by using any choice of other soft-rind cheeses that are comparable. In my opinion, a variety of funky, soft-rind cow's milk cheeses used in in this recipe lead to some fantastic results as well. Any cheese you pick will create a "Tartiflette" that reflects its own characteristics.Tartiflette is a simple and easy dish to prepare. To avoid overcooking potatoes in the center and undercooking potatoes around the edges, start by par-boiling the potatoes. Par-cooking them prior to baking ensures they will be cooked evenly all the way through. Although Tartiflette does not have any spinach in it, I could not resist adding some greens to it to make it a little bit more gut friendly. Traditionally, Tartiflette is made with cream. But I wanted to avoid having an after-dinner brick in my stomach so I used a lighter version, milk, and it tasted amazing. You can choose from this list of cheeses: Fontina and Gruyère Cheeses – The closest substitutes for Reblochon cheesePort Salut Cheese – A great substitute for Reblochon cheeseMuenster Cheese – semi-soft cheese similar to Reblochon cheeseTaleggio Cheese – excellent substitute for Reblochon cheeseRaclette Cheese – unique, high-end substitute for Reblochon cheeseGooey, creamy, delicious, tartiflette is best enjoyed immediately. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.
- 2 lbs russet potato sliced to 1/2" in thickness
- 2 onions sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP avocado oil
- 1 lbs bacon
- 1/2 lbs spinach optional
- 1/2 lbs Muenster cheese
- 1/2 lbs Gouda cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup white wine optional
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Add potatoes to a pot and cover with cold water. Season with salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for approximately 10 - 15 min or until tender enough to be easily pierced a fork. Drain and let cool.
- Peel and mince onions and garlic. Roughly chop bacon. Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and sauté bacon and onions for approximately 5 min.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 more min.
- (OPTIONAL) Add spinach and sauté until wilted and half of the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- (OPTIONAL) Add white wine and let cook for 2 min.
- Peel and slice cooled potatoes. Add half of the potato slices to a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and top with half of the bacon-onion mixture.
- Layer over half the sliced Muenster and Gouda cheeses and repeat the process with remaining ingredients.
- Add milk.
- Bake at 400ºF for approximately 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Enjoy!
Serving: 1servingCalories: 1150kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 24gFat: 101gSaturated Fat: 44gPolyunsaturated Fat: 9gMonounsaturated Fat: 42gCholesterol: 156mgSodium: 718mgPotassium: 1076mgFiber: 3gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 4208IUVitamin C: 23mgCalcium: 657mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Don't forget to Like and Share!