This dish always disappears from my kids' plates as soon as they sit down to eat. It's light, creamy, scrumptious and takes under 30 minutes to prepare! This CHICKEN STROGANOFF recipe is very simple and only requires a few common ingredients that you most likely already have in your kitchen pantry and refrigerator.While beef stroganoff is a more well-known and widely prepared dish, chicken stroganoff cooks much faster, making it an ideal choice for a quick and easy dinner.Most stroganoffs, whether beef or chicken, are made with sliced mushrooms and include pickles as a side or garnish, but most home cooks just skip pickles entirely. When I make chicken stroganoff, I add both, sliced mushrooms and finely chopped pickles or gherkins, and let them cook in the sauce to release their flavors. And while you can certainly omit the pickles, I believe they add very delicate and pleasant flavor, you should definitely give it a try and add them to the dish!I make this dish with raw sour cream from a local farm, but lactose-free sour cream from the grocery store works just as well. Lactase, an enzyme found in raw milk, is important for breaking down the lactose sugars that cause lactose intolerance. When milk is pasteurized, the lactase enzyme is completely deactivated, leaving your body entirely responsible for breaking down the lactose sugars.Bon appetite! Your fork is waiting!
- 1 lbs chicken breast or chicken thighs
- 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups cleaned and sliced button mushrooms
- 4 pickles finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 cup sour cream or it's substitute
- 2 TBSP parsley
- 1 TBSP dill
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Sauté a large onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil or ghee over medium heat. When the chopped onion is translucent, add sliced mushrooms. turn the heat up and continue cooking until mushrooms begin to brown, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a separate plate and keep aside.
- Cut chicken breasts into small pieces or strips. In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil or ghee, add the chicken, season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and continue to cook over medium high heat until pink color is no longer visible, about 10-15 minutes. Add sautéed mushrooms and stir.
- Add finely chopped pickles to the pan.
- Season with 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and mix in tomato paste and yellow mustard, Stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in sour cream or it's alternative and thoroughly combine everything. Continue to cook on low heat to prevent sour cream separation and wait until the sauce thickens, approximately 5-7 minutes. Taste the sauce and season with salt if necessary.
- Finally, garnish with parsley and dill, mix and serve immediately.
- It pairs well with mashed potatoes, zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice or over greens of your choice. I like to serve it over arugula or chopped kale.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 340kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 28gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 1015mgPotassium: 815mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 751IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 113mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Don't forget to Like and Share!