CHICKEN LEMON SOUP AVGOLEMONO
- Soup Pot
- 3 cups chicken meat shredded
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion medium, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 celery chopped
- 1/2 cup lemon juice freshly-squeezed
- 3-4 eggs
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup dill chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, bring chicken broth to a boil, turn down the heat to medium low. While the broth is boiling, add the rice to a mesh colander and wash under cold running water. Add rice to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion quarters to a baking sheet and broil in the oven on top rack for 3-5 minutes until soft and some charred spots are visible on top of the onion. You can also chop the onion and fry it in the frying pan with a tablespoon of olive or avocado oil until soft and golden.
- When rice is almost cooked ( in about 10-12 minutes), add chopped carrots, celery and broiled/ sauteed onion and bay leaf. Add cooked and shredded chicken meat, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for 5 more minutes.
- While the rice is cooking- in a medium bowl, combine minced or chopped garlic, lemon juice and whisk together with the eggs. While whisking constantly, add 2 ladles of hot soup broth (this prevents eggs from cooking while raising temperature of the mixture).
- Carefully pour the egg-lemon-garlic mixture into the soup, stir and immediately remove the pot from the heat.
- Garnish with parsley and dill.
- Serve hot and enjoy!