BEEF BOLOGNESE WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH
This recipe is full of vegetables and the leftovers are just as delicious as the first day it's made. Spaghetti from this type of squash looks very similar to regular spaghetti, but obviously do not taste quite the same. Sauce to the rescue - it totally disguises the difference between the dough and vegetable texture and taste. Spaghetti squash is closely related to pumpkin, squash, and zucchini. It comes in different sizes, shapes, and colors, varying from off-white to dark orange. Spaghetti squash is not only low in calories and loaded with nutrients ( it's a good source of fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin B6) but also provides many health benefits.If you've never tried Beef Bolognese, you are in for a treat. This dish is full of flavors, color and heavenly nutritious. It's one of those dishes that you can make and let it simmer low and slow on the stove while you go about your day ( though not going too far). You can make it in the slow cooker if you want to make it completely "set it and forget it" type of dinner. Bon appetite!
- Roasting pan
- Medium pot
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 0.5 lb ground beef
- 0.5 lb ground veal
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 25 oz tomato and basil sauce sauce I use (Costco also has it)
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
FOR SPAGHETTI SQUASH
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and pat dry spaghetti squash and make 4 knife-length slits or fork holes in the skin on both sides of the vegetable. Set on a roasting pan and add to preheated oven. Roast for 45-50 minutes or until a fork can be easily inserted into the body of the squash.
- When cooked, take out of the oven and let it cool completely. Cut in two lengthwise and using a spoon, scoop out the seeds, discard the seeds. ( You can wash them in a colander, dry in the oven, grind and use instead of breadcrumbs.) Using the same spoon, scoop out the squash flesh into a bowl.
FOR BEEF BOLOGNESE
- Melt ghee in a medium pot on a medium high heat and add onion to soften and caramelize, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots and celery and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add peas, stir, cover with the lid and heat until peas are soft. Add ground beef and veal to the pot, carefully breaking the meat apart with the back of a spoon, stir and cook until browned, about 10-15 minutes. Add tomato and basil sauce, season with salt, pepper, add bay leaf and chopped garlic and stir. Reduce heat to very low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the flavors meld, about 40-45 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley, stir, cover with a lid and turn off the heat.
- Serve over spaghetti squash. Enjoy!
Serving: 4personsCalories: 531kcalCarbohydrates: 50gProtein: 28gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 823mgPotassium: 1476mgFiber: 13gSugar: 25gVitamin A: 7357IUVitamin C: 45mgCalcium: 177mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Don't forget to Like and Share!