BEEF BOLOGNESE WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH
- Roasting pan
- Medium pot
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 0.5 lb ground beef
- 0.5 lb ground veal
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 25 oz tomato and basil sauce sauce I use (Costco also has it)
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
FOR SPAGHETTI SQUASH
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and pat dry spaghetti squash and make 4 knife-length slits or fork holes in the skin on both sides of the vegetable. Set on a roasting pan and add to preheated oven. Roast for 45-50 minutes or until a fork can be easily inserted into the body of the squash.
- When cooked, take out of the oven and let it cool completely. Cut in two lengthwise and using a spoon, scoop out the seeds, discard the seeds. ( You can wash them in a colander, dry in the oven, grind and use instead of breadcrumbs.) Using the same spoon, scoop out the squash flesh into a bowl.
FOR BEEF BOLOGNESE
- Melt ghee in a medium pot on a medium high heat and add onion to soften and caramelize, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots and celery and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add peas, stir, cover with the lid and heat until peas are soft. Add ground beef and veal to the pot, carefully breaking the meat apart with the back of a spoon, stir and cook until browned, about 10-15 minutes. Add tomato and basil sauce, season with salt, pepper, add bay leaf and chopped garlic and stir. Reduce heat to very low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the flavors meld, about 40-45 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley, stir, cover with a lid and turn off the heat.
- Serve over spaghetti squash. Enjoy!