ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH KUNG PAO SAUCE
- Roasting pan
- Sauce pan
- 2 lbs brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
KUNG PAO SAUCE
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- 4 red chili peppers dried, optional
- 1/4 cup peanuts dry, roasted
- 1 tsp sesame seeds toasted
- 1/4 cup green onion slices
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
- red pepper flakes to taste
ROASTING BRUSSEL SPROUTS
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim the ends of brussels sprouts and remove any discolored or damaged leaves. Wash under cold running water and drain.
- Cut the brussels in half lengthwise, coat with oil and spread on a tray in an even layer.
- Roast the brussels for 25-30 min, tossing halfway, until tender but crispy and caramelized on the edges.
MAKING THE SAUCE
- Whisk all the ingredients for the sauce in the sauce pan until combined and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and keep cooking the sauce, stirring often, until thickened and reduced in half. (about 5 min)
OPTIONAL GARNISHES (PEANUTS AND SESAME SEEDS)
- Roast peanuts in a dry hot pan, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and fragrant. Add sesame seeds to the pan when the nuts are almost done roasting. Roast for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently, to prevent burning. Sprinkle on top of the brussels.
PUTTING THE DISH TOGETHER
- Transfer brussels to a bowl, pour the sauce over them and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately!