CREAM OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH
- Baking sheet
- Large pot
- 2 lbs butternut squash peeled and cut into 2" pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 onion large, halved and each half cut into quarters
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 liter chicken broth
- 1/8 nutmeg graded
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Drizzle avocado oil over butternut squash and spread the cubes on the baking sheet in a single layer. If using the whole squash, poke several holes in different parts of the vegetable and drizzle with oil, then put in the oven.
- Peel and cut onion in 2 halves. Add to the butternut squash on the baking sheet. Take it out of the oven after about 10-15 minutes or when caramelized and soft.
- Roast the squash for 25-30 minutes until it can be easily pierced with a fork.
- If using a whole squash, let it cool and cut it in half. Using a tablespoon, scoop out the seeds to a separate bowl (the seeds can be washed, roasted, and ground to be used in other dishes instead of breadcrumbs). Scoop out the flesh of the vegetable, discarding the skin.
- Add chicken broth, butternut squash, onion, garlic to a pot, cover and bring to a boil.
- Using a handheld blender, blend all the ingredients in a pot.
- Reduce the heat and add salt, pepper, nutmeg and thyme. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and take the pot off the heat.
- Pour into bowls and serve immediately.