Oven roasted smelts
Smelts are known for their delicate mild flavor and soft texture. Not only are they rich in healthy vitamins and high quality protein but smelts are also low in mercury. They are fantastic fried, roasted, broiled and stewed.These little guys are loaded with important vitamins and minerals: Vitamin B12 1 supports blood and brain functions and DNA replication; Phosphorus 2,3 helps repair cells and tissues and convert food into energy; Selenium 4, an essential nutrient, critical in production of thyroid hormones 5, DNA synthesis and reproductive function;Healthy fats- each serving of rainbow smelts provides as many Omega-3 6 fats as one serving of wild salmon.
Oven roasted smelts
Amount Per Serving (4 oz)
Calories 247 Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 7g44%
Vitamin C 14.3mg17%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- 1 lb smelts
- 3 TBSP ghee
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 TBSP olive oil extra virgin, organic
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Take the smelts out of the package, rinse under cold running water and pat dry them well using a paper towel or thin cotton/linen kitchen towel.
- In a bowl, mix ghee, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat smelts evenly with ghee mixture.
- Set the cooling sheet on the oven tray to collect any drippings and ensure proper air circulation while cooking the fish, otherwise the bottom of the fish becomes saggy and the coating will not stick.
- Spread the fish in a single even layer in the cooling sheet over the oven tray.
- Roast in the oven until fish is light brown or about 10 min.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
Serving: 4ozCalories: 247kcalCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 19gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 649mgPotassium: 362mgVitamin C: 14.3mgCalcium: 87mgIron: 0.9mg
Tried this recipe?Don't forget to Like and Share!
Vitamin B12. National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-HealthProfessional/.
Phosphorus in Diet. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/phosphorus-in-diet#function.
Phosphorus in diet. Medline Plus. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002424.htm.
Selenium. National Institute of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/.
Selenium and Thyroid Disease: From Pathophysiology to Treatment. National Center for Biotechnology Information. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5307254/.
Salmon. Seafood Health Facts: Making Smart Choices. https://www.seafoodhealthfacts.org/seafood-choices/description-top-commercial-seafood-items/salmon.