SPLIT PEA SOUP
- 3/4 gallon chicken stock
- 1 lb dry peas
- 2 potatoes diced
- 1/2 onion quartered
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, cover dry peas with cold water and soak overnight, or at least for 1 hour.
- Once the peas are soaked and doubled in size, rinse them well.
- Add chicken stock and peas to a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer split peas for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add onion to an oven and broil until golden and soft to add flavor.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and garlic to a pot. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- You can skim the foam from the peas that rises to the top. It is not harmful and, if left, it gets simply absorbed into the cooking liquid.
- Add bay leaf, salt, pepper and parsley and stir. Turn off the heat and enjoy!